Archive

Archive for the ‘002050. Richard Fairbanks’ Category

Warning Out in New England, 1656-1817

12 June 2009 Leave a comment

Source: Josiah Henry Benton, Warning Out in New England, 1656-1817 (Boston: W.B. Clarke Company, 1911).

[page 18]

At first the New England towns exercised the right to exclude new-comers from inhabitancy by providing that no person should be received as an inhabitant without a vote of the town or of the “townsmen” or selectmen, and also by providing that no inhabitant should receive or entertain persons who were not admitted as inhabitants, or, as they were termed, strangers.  This right of exclusion from inhabitancy was still further exercised by orders providing that inhabitants should not sell or let their land or houses to strangers without the consent of the town.

[…]

[page 19]

In Boston in November, 1634, it was ordered at a general meeting that Mr. WINTHROP, then also governor, and six other persons, should have the power to divide and dispose of all lands belonging to the town, not then in the lawful possession of any particular persons, to the inhabitants of the town according to the orders of the Court, leaving such portions in common for the use of new-comers and the further benefit of the town as in their discretion they should see fit.  These persons were subsequently termed “Allotters.”

In November, 1635, this order was passed at general town meeting:–

It is agreed that noe further allotments shalbe graunted unto any new comers, but such as may be likely to be received members of the Congregation:

That none shall sell their houses or allotments to any new comers, but with the consent and allowance of those that are appointed Allotters.

This order against selling land to strangers was enforced.  June 6, 1636, an order was made by the selectmen as follows:–

Wee finde that Richard FAIREBANKE hath sold unto twoe

[page 20]

straingers the twoe houses in Sudbury end that were William BALSTONEs, contrary to a former order, and therefore the sayle to bee voyd, and the said Richard FAIRBANCKE to forfeite for his breaking thereof, xls.

[…]

On August 7, 1637, the selectmen granted leave to Richard FAIRBANK “to sell his shopp to ––– SAUNDERS, a booke-bynder.”

Advertisements

American Presidential Families

6 June 2009 Leave a comment

Source: Hugh Brogan and Charles Mosley, American Presidential Families (New York: Macmillan Publishing Company, 1993).

[page 419]

FRANKLIN PIERCE

MALE LINE ANCESTRY AND COLLATERAL DESCENDANTS

Thomas PIERCE, b England c 1583/4; emigrated to Charlestown, Mass., 1633/4; m Elizabeth (b probably c 1595/6; d after 1666/7) and d Charlestown 7 Oct 1666, leaving (with other issue):

Thomas PIERCE, b England between c 1608 and 1618?; m Charlestown 6 May 1635 Elizabeth (d Woburn, Mass., 5 March 1688), dau of Rice or Ryce COLE and his w Arrold —-, and d Woburn 6 Nov 1683, leaving issue (with allegedly another son, who the family of President BUSH’s wife Barbara claim was her father Marvin PIERCE’s great-grandfather’s great-great-grandfather):

Stephen PIERCE, b Woburn 16 July 1651; m Chelmsford 18 Nov 1676 Tabitha (b there 28 Feb 1658/9; d there 31 Jan 1741/2,) dau of Jacob PARKER and his w Sarah, and d Chelmsford 10 June 1733, leaving issue:

Stephen PIERCE, Jr, b Chelmsford c 1679; m there 5 Jan 1707 Esther (b there c 1681; d probably there 21 Sept 1767), dau of William FLETCHER, Jr, of Chelmsford, and his w Sarah RICHARDSON (whose great-uncle Thomas RICHARDSON was ancestor of President COOLIDGE and whose great-aunt Elizabeth RICHARDSON was ancestor of President HOOVER), and d there 9 Sept 1749 […]

[page 420]

Thomas PIERCE }
c 1583/4-1666 }
Elizabeth —- } Thomas PIERCE, Jr
c 1595/6?-p 1666/7 } c 1608-18?–83
Rice/Ryce COLE } Elizabeth COLE
d 1646 } d 1688
Arrold —- }
d 1661 }
}
}
} Jacob PARKER
} d a 1669
} Sarah —-
} c 1626-1707/8
}
}
Robert FLETCHER }
c 1592-1677 }
—- ?HARTWELL } William FLETCHER
} c 1622-77
?Richard FAIRBANKS } Lydia ?FAIRBANKS
} c ?1622-1704
—- —- }
}

[page 421]

Thomas PIERCE, Jr. }
c 1608-18?–83 }
Elizabeth COLE } Stephen PIERCE }
d 1688 } 1651-1733 }
Jacob PARKER } Tabitha PARKER }
d a 1669 } 1658/9-1741/2 }
Sarah —- } Stephen PIERCE, Jr }
c 1626-1707/8 } c 1679-1749 }
William FLETCHER } Esther FLETCHER }
c 1622-77 } c 1681-1767 }
Lydia ?FAIRBANKS } William FLETCHER, Jr }
c ?1622-1704 } 1656/7-1712 }
Josiah RICHARDSON } Sarah RICHARDSON }
c 1635-95 } 1659/60-1748 }
Remembrance }
UNDERWOOD }
1639/40-1718/9 }

The Memorial History of Boston

6 May 2009 Leave a comment

Source: Justin Winsor, editor, The Memorial History of Boston, Including Suffolk County, Massachusetts, 1630-1880, Volume 2, The Provincial Period (Boston: Ticknor and Company, 1881). [WorldCat]

[page i]

INTRODUCTION.

ESTATES AND SITES.–The picturesque aspect of the town in the colonial and provincial periods has been set forth in the preceding and the present volumes.  To supplement those chapters, and to place the local traditions of the sites which the Bostonian of the provincial period inherited, and to mark the transmission of some of the more interesting land titles, the Editor offers the following study.  The Town Records, ante-dating the Book of Possessions, indicate allotments and transfers of which it is not always possible to fix the locality.  With the aid of the Book of Possessions and the contemporary records of the town, and by documents preserved in the Registry of Deeds, it is not difficult to make a nearly perfect plot of the Peninsula, as its inhabitants knew it, in home lots and neighborhoods.1 The definition of bounds in these earlier records are not sufficiently exact to make us sure of the shapes of the lots, but their positions relative to one another, and to the modern landmarks, can be made out with considerable precision; and it is to this extent only that the following descriptions go.  In this study the Editor.

1 There are none of the original deeds preserved in the Suffolk Registry of an earlier date of record than 1705, and those of the earliest years are in a very bad condition, in bundles which had not apparently been opened for many years when the Editor examined them, the papers being matted together with mould.  Among them were found some of dates in the preceding century, the documents having not been presented earlier for record.  Though the Registry is not an office of deposit, it is desirable that such early records as are left in its keeping should be better cared for.  The engrossed records for 1766 and 1768 are missing from the Suffolk Registry, not being returned from Canada, whither they were removed during the Revolution.  Up to 1862 about six thousand plans had been recorded.  The original papers in the Probate Office are admirably arranged and in good condition.  The earliest bear date about 1635-36.  in the City Clerk’s office the files of the original papers — consisting of minutes, reports, petitions, warrants, leases, and all other papers used in the meetings of the town or of the selectmen — are very imperfect before 1734, and such as remain are scrapped in two volumes.  After 1734 they are tied up in bundles, generally by years, though they are in some confusion.  There is great need of their being properly arranged and indexed.  When this is done, they will yield much that the historian of Boston must appropriate.  The Editor has made such use of them as he could.

[page ii]

has freely availed himself of work in this direction which others have done.  Mr. Uriel H. CROCKER kindly placed in his hands the map already mentioned in the first volume.  Mr. George LAMB has made, on a larger scale, a map to embody his interpretation of the Book of Possessions; and this plan was bought a year or two since by the City, and is now in the Public Library.  It is not accompanied by descriptions, as is the case with Mr. CROCKER’s, but it has references to pages of the Book of Possessions.  It is further developed than Mr. CROCKER’s in the regions of the town appropriated to pasturage and tillage; but Mr. CROCKER’s manuscripts give data for this part, and they have the further advantage of assisting to a considerable degree in tracing the transmissions of the estates.  The Editor has also availed himself of some of the late Mr. N.I. BOWDITCH’s results as given in the “Gleaner” articles, published in the Boston Transcript in 1855-56; and Mr. William H. WHITMORE has kindly favored him with advance sheets of the new issue of these papers, printed for the city.  Of the other printed sources of modern investigators he must needs mention particularly S.A. DRAKE’s Landmarks, SHURTLEFF’s Description of Boston, and the topographical notes to the SEWALL Papers, understood to be due to Mr. WHITMORE, one of the editors.1

The plan of the streets has been taken from the survey published by Bonner in 1722, with such changes and omissions as seemed to adapt it to the condition of the town at the earlier period.  For the reader’s convenience, present names have been given (in parentheses) to the streets, which are represented disproportionately wide.  A repetition of the same figures on the plan signifies the general direction of the lot’s extension.  Dotted lines indicate later continuations of streets or causeways.  Some sections from the original Bonner map of 1722 are also introduced as showing the condition in the early part of the succeeding century.

1 The Editor regrets that the printed volume of Suffolk Deeds, liber i., was not published in time to be of use to him.  Mr. John T. HASSAM, who has written a valuable introduction to it, kindly placed the proofs of that part of it in the Editor’s hands.  In this he says that nineteen record volumes had been filled up to 1700; 193 up to 1800; and to this day 1,510 volumes have been filled.  This first volume comes down to April 7, 1654.  It opens with two letters in cypher, of which the printed volume is to have a reduced fac-simile and a translation by Mr. William P. UPHAM, of Salem.  This gentleman says the system of short-hand is that of John WILLIS of London, as made known in 1602, and substantially the same with the marginal notes of LECHFORD to his Plaine Dealing, as seen in his MS. copy preserved in the Historical Society’s Library.  The first letter is about Hansard KNOLLES, from (Mr. UPHAM conjectures) Governor John UNDERHILL, of Dover, to Governor WINTHROP; and this is followed by a copy of a letter from KNOLLES, retracting certain allegations he had made against the Massachusetts Colony.  Their dates were probably 1639.  The Editor takes this occasion to acknowledge Mr. HASSAM’s courtesy in making various suggestions about the text of this Introduction.

[page iii]

Of the Book of Possessions, which is in some sort the foundation of all titles of real estate within the old town limits, an abstract or abbreviated copy was printed in the appendix to DRAKE’s History of Boston, in 1856; and it has since been printed entire in the Second Report of the Record Commissioners.  The first leaf (as at present bound) is missing; and, if it was not a part of the original cover, it probably contained the the possessions of Governor WINTHROP and of some of his family, for the third page begins with the possessions of Deane WINTHROP, his youngest son.

The record seems to give, as originally entered, a half page to each person, down to page 111.  Subsequent entries were intercalated in different ink and writing, sometimes with dates attesting time of entry.  New names were entered on pages subsequent to page 111.  The exact date of the original compilation nowhere appears.  Snow, History of Boston, p. 128, says it “seems to embrace the period 1640-50.”  Dr. SHURTLEFF, Description of Boston, places it “about the year 1643.”  Mr. WHITMORE, in his introduction to the Second Report of the Record Commissioners, gave the evidence which seemed to him then to indicate the “summer of 1652” as the date; but in his chapter in the first volume of this history he determines upon 1645 as about the date.  Chief-Justice GRAY, in Boston versus RICHARDSON (13 Allen, 146, 151), fixes it between 1639 and 1646.  Mr. Uriel H. CROCKER, in two communications in the Boston Daily Advertiser (Nov. 21, 1877, and Dec. 15, 1877), gives his reasons for fixing the date in 1643 or 1644; and relies largely upon the similarity of the accompanying signatures of the Recorder to prove that it was ASPINWALL who made the original entries, about which a doubt had been expressed, and that he continued to make entries till 1651, when he was succeeded by Edward RAWSON.

Of these signatures the first is of 1638, when he was Secretary of the Rhode Island Colony.  The second is from Suffolk Deeds, i. p. 60.  The third is from the Book of Possessions, p. 33.  Mr. HASSAM has established still more clearly ASPINWALL’s connection with this record, from the handwriting of a letter known to be his, preserved in the Massachusetts Archives, lxxxviii. 384.  ASPINWALL

[page iv]

PLAN A. (NORTH END.)

[page v]

held the office from 1644 to 1651; and Mr. HASSAM considers that though the Book of Possessions may not have been begun so early as 1634, — certainly not in the existing copy of it, — it was most likely in pursuance of an order of the General Court of April 1 of that year that it was compiled.  (Suffolk Deeds, lib. i, Introduction.)

NOTE.– In the following notes a few abbreviations have been used: a., for acre; g., for garden; h., for house; l., for lot; and y., for yard.

[page xii]

60. John MYLOM, cooper, h., g., and shop; sold to John PHILLIPS, biscuit-maker, in 1648.  It was upon this lot that one of the oldest buildings in Boston existed, half way up Cross Street, to our day.

[Facsimile of the signature of John Mylom]

PHILLIPS, who had come from Dorchester, became a deacon of the Second Church in 1650, added to his estate adjacent lands, and built the stone house; which, when it was torn down in 1864, was considered the oldest building in Boston.  It has been described by Mr. BYNNER in Vol. I.  PHILLIPS died in 1682.  SHURTLEFF, Description of Boston, p. 667, has traced its history to our day.  PHILLIPS, before he died, sold the part of his lot next the water-side to Captain Christopher CLARKE.  61. William WERDALL, h. and g.  This lot afterwards passed to John TURRELL and his heirs.

62. This lane was laid out in 1636, from the water-side “up the balke or meare that goes up from the end of John MYLOM’s house, next William ASPINWALL’s ground, and to goe along to the Mylne Cove, a rod and a halfe broade.”  MYLOM was allowed, in 1647, to wharf before the eastern end of it.  At the beginning of the next century it was called Coney’s Lane.  Sewall Papers, ii. 211.

63. Valentine HILL.  64. Valentine HILL; sold to Barnabas FAWER, in 1646, who was to maintain a cart-way by the wharf before his door, and whose will, 1654, is in N.E. Hist. and Geneal. Reg., July, 1851, p. 305.   65. Valentine HILL; sold to James MATTOCK in 1646, whose will, 1666, is in N.E. Hist. and Geneal. Reg., Oct. 1861, p. 325.  David PHIPPENY had a house and lot in this neighborhood.  See his will in N.E. Hist. and Geneal. Reg., July, 1853, p. 233.

[Facsimiles of the signatures of James MATTOCKE and David PHIPPENY]

66. Valentine HILL; sold to Arthur PERRY.  67. Valentine HILL; sold to Richard STRAINE, in 1648; then passed to Paul ALLISTRE, with a wharf in front; then to Robert NANNEY, in 1650.

[Facsimile of the signature of Robert NANNEY]

His autograph is from his will, 1663, printed in N.E. Hist. and Geneal. Reg., April, 1858, p. 155.  Near the bridge over the creek, HILL sold, in 1651, a lot to William AUBREY, “for the use of the undertakers of the iron works in New England.”  A lane which later passed through this lot and 70 (the present North Centre Street) was called Paddy’s Lane, from Captain William PADDY, a citizen of prominence, who lived upon it, and died in 1658.  His will is in N.E. Hist. and Geneal. Reg., Oct. 1854, p. 355; also see 1877, p. 321.  68. John PEIRCE.

[Facsimiles of the signatures of William PADDY and John PEIRCE]

69. John OLIVER.  If this was the son of Thomas OLIVER, see his will, 1641, in N.E. Hist. and Geneal. Reg., July, 1849, p. 266.

[Facsimile of signature of John OLIVER]

70. John KNIGHT.  71. Thomas MARSHALL.  72. Joshua SCOTTOW was allowed, in 1651, to wharf at the northeast end of the mill bridge.  He had bought the marsh at that time of James NASH, of Weymouth, to whom John MYLOM had sold it.

73. John MYLOM; sold to Thomas MARSHALL, 1648.  74. John MYLOM, h.; sold in part in 1650 to Robert NASH, the butcher.  75. John MYLOM; sold to Governor LEVERETT.

[page xxv]

PLAN C. (WASHINGTON STREET, ETC.)

[page xxvi]

25. Richard COOKE, g.; sold to Edmund JACKLIN; who in 1647 sold to Francis SMITH; he to Amos RICHARDSON the same year; and later it was owned by Anthony STODDARD, the rich linen-draper.

26. See 32.  27. Jane, widow of Richard PARKER, h. and g.; and, intending to marry, she deeded it, in 1646, to her children, — Margaret, John, Thomas, and Noah […]

[page xxvii]

30. Edmund DENNIS, h. and g.  31. Ephraim POPE, h. and g.  32. Extending to 26, about on the line of Bromfield Street, Richard FAIRBANKS, g.; later owned by William DAVIS the apothecary.  FAIRBANKS, however, retained a lot in the rear of those on School Street […] 33. Thomas GRUBB, h. and g.

[page xxviii]

35. Walter BLACKBORNE, h., g., and shop, which Elizabeth BLACKBORNE (Walter having gone to England) sold in 1641 to Francis LYLE the barber, who united the service of a surgeon, after the fashion of his day, and in this capacity served later in the Parliamentary army in England.  Henry BRIDGHAM owned part of the lot, which he sold in 1648 to Richard TAPPING and John SPOORE.

36. Atherton HOUGH, h. and g.  It was well up School Street that the little French church was built, about 1714.

[Facsimile of the signature of Atherton HAUGHE]

They had bought the lot of James MEERS, hatter, ten years earlier.  Next door to them, in 1747, Richard CRANCH, card-maker, had his shop, — the father of Judge CRANCH.  37. Arthur PERRY, tailor and drummer, h. and g.  He died Oct. 9, 1652, and left a son, Seth, to keep up his trade.

38. John LUGGE, h. and g.  39. Richard COOKE, h. and g.  Here also lived his son, Dr. Elisha COOKE, a citizen who figured largely in the Inter-Charter period.

[Facsimiles of the signatures of Richard COOKE and Elisha COOKE]

It was in this house that Governor BURNET lived while the Province House was making ready.

40. John SYNDERLAND.

[Facsimile of the signature of John SYNDERLAND]

41. Zaccheus BOSWORTH, h. and g., with barns, cow-house, orchard; sold in 1652 to Thomas WOODWARD.  BOSWORTH’s will, 1655, is in N.E. Hist. and Geneal. Reg., October, 1851, p. 443.  On this lot there were erected, early in the next century, the brick house which became the residence of Jacob WENDELL, a wealthy merchant and prominent citizen of his day.

42. Governor WINTHROP.  His house stood nearly opposite the foot of School Street.  His “green” is now occupied by the Old South Church.  Before his death he deeded the property to his son Stephen, reserving the right of occupancy of one half for his own and his wife’s life.

[Facsimiles of the signatures of Jo: WINTHROP and Stephen WINTHROP]

The property came into the possession of John NORTON, the minister of the First Church, whose will is given in N.E. Hist. and Geneal. Reg., October, 1857, p. 342; and his widow gave it to the Third Church, and upon it their first edifice was built, in 1670, — a wooden structure, which gave place in 1729 to the present building.

[Facsimile of the signature of John NORTON]

43. Atherton HOUGH, h.  This is the point at which James BOUTINEAU, in the pro-

[Facsimiles of the signatures of Ja. BOUTINEAU and Richard SHERMAN]

[page xxix]

vincial period, had his mansion.  He married a sister of Peter FANEUIL.  44. Richard SHERMAN, h.  The annexed signature is from his will, in 1660, which is printed in N.E. Hist. and Geneal. Reg., July, 1855, p. 227.  See Ibid., April, 1864, p. 157, for the will of the widow ROBINSON, formerly wife of Richard SHEARMAN.

45. William HIBBINS, gentleman, h., g., and stable.  Somewhere between 45 and 46 on the Water Street side, Major John WALLEY had his mansion-house in the early part of the next century, with wharf belonging, and land stretching through to Milk Street.  Upon his death, in 1711, it descended to his son John; and on his death in, in 1755, it was advertised as containing “upwards of twenty rooms.”

[Facsimiles of the signatures of William HIBBINS and John JOYLIFFE]

The present Devonshire Street runs through lot 45, and was early known as Joyliffe’s Lane, from John JOYLIFFE, a prominent citizen, who lived upon it, and died in 1701.  Drake’s Boston, 509.

46. John SPOORE, h. and g.  SPOORE was called of Clapton, Somersetshire, when he bought, in 1638, Mr. WILKE’s house and ground, — perhaps this lot.  Somewhere hereabout on the Creek the leather-dressers, in 1643, were granted a place to water their leather.  SPOORE mortgaged this property in 1648, and by some means we find Deacon Henry BRIDGHAM in possession in 16[??], who built in 1670 a mansion on the ground, and had his tan-pits near by.

[Facsimile of the signature of Henry BRIDGHAM]

He did not live, however, to move into the new house, but died in the old one in March, 1670-71; and on the death of his widow, in 1672, the property passed to the sons, and in 1680 was divided, the new house falling to Dr. John BRIDGHAM, of Ipswich.  The Doctor died in 1721, and this house fell to his nephew Joseph BRIDGHAM, a recent graduate of Harvard, but now an apothecary in Boston.  BRIDGHAM sold it in February, 1734-35, to Francis BORLAND for £1,200.  Joseph CALEF was a tenant of the house, and plied his trade with the tan-pits.  It was while CALEF was here that Congress Street was laid out from Milk to Water Street.  There was a petition in 1757 to continue Water Street over the old tan heaps and to pave it.  CALEF died in September, 1763, and the house and grounds fell to Francis Lindall BORLAND, but afterwards came in joint possession to John BORLAND, a brother of Francis LINDALL, and to the children of Wait Still WINTHROP, who had married a daughter of Francis BORLAND.  The remaining history of the house falls later than the provincial times.  It became the famous Julien House, and its descent is traced at length by Shurtleff, Boston, 659.

47. John SPOORE, g.  48. William PELL, tallow chandler, h. and g.  49. Robert RICE, h. and g.  50. William DINSDALE, h. and g.  51. John KENRICK, h. and g.  52. James PENN, h. and g.; granted in 1637.  53. Nicholas PARKER, h. and g.  54. Nathaniel BISHOP, h. and g.

[Facsimiles of the signatures of James PENN and Nathaniell BISHOPP]

A lane was laid out (Oct. 15, 1645; March 23, 1646) west of this lot, running through to Summer Street, nearly the present Hawley Street, and known early as Bishop’s Alley.

55. John STEVENSON, h. and g.  His widow married William BLACKSTONE, and the lot passed in 1646 to Abraham PAGE; and then, same year, to John HANSETT of Roxbury; but the spot got its chief glory sixty years later, when Benjamin FRANKLIN was born here.

[page xxxii]

109. Elder Thomas OLIVER, h. and g.  Here he practised the healing art, — the physician of the young town, as well as ruler in its church.  See his relationship to the other OLIVERs in N.E. Hist. and Geneal. Reg., April, 1865, p. 100.

[page xxxiii]

110. Richard FAIRBANKS, h. and g.; sold in 1652 to Robert TURNER, who later built a new house on the lot, which is mentioned in his will (N.E. Hist. and Geneal. Reg., Jan., 1859, p. 11).  Here at a later day The Blue Anchor was kept by George MONCK, whom Dunton celebrates in his Letters, and who extended his career into the provincial days.  (See Whitmore’s note to Record Commssioners’ edition of Gleaner Articles, p. 12.)  A petition from Joseph WILLSON for a license shows that this or another tavern of the same name was called “Near OLIVER’s Dock” in 1755, and that it had been known as such for forty years, — a lesser period than is true, certainly, if it was not another hostlery.  It was the same tavern which Thomas BAYLEY petitioned for the privilege of keeping in 1752.  111. Richard WOODHOUSE, h. and l.

[page xxxv]

124. Robert TURNER’s pasture; sold 6 a. in 1652 to Richard FAIRBANKS.  Long Lane (Federal Street) was later cut through the westerly part of this lot, and upon it the meeting-house was built in 1744, in which CHANNING subsequently ministered.  There was a petition for widening Long Lane in 1716, and the annexed autographs (the OLIVERs, SHEAFE, and ADAMS) show some of the principal residents in this neighborhood at that time.

[Facsimiles of the signatures of Nathanl OLIVER, Peter OLIVER, Jacob SHEAFES, and Saml ADAMS]

140. Richard FAIRBANKS.  Marsh along the creek.

[page xl]

PLAN E. (FORT HILL.)

[page xl]

17. The present bend on Batterymarch Street, which was laid out in 1673.  On the marsh to the northwest, on the corner of what is now Batterymarch Street and Liberty Square, stood a well-known ordinary.  The marsh had been let by the town in 1636 to Captain James JOHNSON, and this site was conveyed by him to Thomas HULL; and in 1673 Nathaniel BISHOP lived here, and the house was known as “The Blue Bell,” and was jointly tenanted the next year by Deacon Henry ALLINE and Hugh DRURY.  In 1692 it is called “The Castle Tavern,” and Mr. Hassam thinks (N.E. Hist. and Geneal. Reg., 1877, p. 329) it ceased to be an inn after 1707.

19. Cart-bridge, mentioned 1658, as over the creek, by Peter OLIVER’s, and leading to Benjamin GILLOM’s.  20. Richard FAIRBANKS’s pasture, 6 a.  It was this pasture, east of the present Pearl Street, which Theodore ATKINSON, not long after 1700, sold to Edward GRAY, who built rope-walks on it in 1712.  They are seen in Bonner’s map in 1722.  In 1732 a lane running parallel to the building was called Hutchinson Street, changed in 1800 to Pearl.  A son, John GRAY, succeeded to the business.  Gleaner Articles, No. 16, traces the history of these rope-walk lots.

21. Robert TURNER’s pasture.

The Memorial History of Boston

6 May 2009 Leave a comment

Source: Justin Winsor, editor, The Memorial History of Boston, Including Suffolk County, Massachusetts, 1630-1880, Volume 1, The Early and Colonial Periods (Boston: Ticknor and Company, 1880). [WorldCat]

[page 232]

It was not till November, 1639, that the first post-office was set up in Boston.  The General Court at that time passed an order to give notice “that Richard FAIRBANK’s house, in Boston, is the place appointed for all letters which are brought from beyond the seas, or are to be sent thither, are to be brought unto; and he is to take care that they be delivered or sent according to their directions; and he is allowed for every such letter a penny, and must answer all miscarriages through his own neglect in this kind,– provided that no man shall be compelled to bring his letters thither, except he please.”4 It is not known how long Mr. FAIRBANKS held this office; but in June, 1677, the same difficulties which had led to his appointment compelled the merchants of Boston to petition for some further action of the General Court.  From the statements then made it appeared that “many times letters are thrown upon the exchange, that who will may take them up;” and the Court thereupon appointed Mr. John HAYWARD, the scrivener, as a “meet person to take in and convey letters according to their direction.”5

[…]

4 Mass. Col. Records, i. 281.

5 Ibid. v. 147, 148.

[page 539]

State Street early rivalled Washington Street in interest, and surpassed it in importance.  In one of the early views of the next century the street appears paved with pebbles and without sidewalks; and so we may assume it to have been for some time previous to 1684.  The buildings too, doubtless, more nearly answered Josselyn’s description as standing “close together on each side of the street as in London, and are furnished with many fair shops.”  This was the busy bustling part of the town, the centre of commerce and trade; here at its head was the first market;2 here, in the market place, was subsequently built the Town House with the Merchants Exchange as above mentioned; and not far from here was the first post-office, established in 1639 by the following order of the General Court:–

“For the preventing the miscarriage of letters, it is ordered, that notice bee given that Richard FAIRBANKS, his house in Boston, is the place appointed for all letters, which are brought from beyond seas or to be sent thither, are to be brought unto him, and he is to take care that they bee delivered or sent according to their directions; provided that no man shall be compelled to bring his letters thither except hee please.”3

[…]

2 [The open space was at first, we may judge, somewhat encumbered with stationary shops; for the Town Records, 1645, show that the widow HOWIN had a shop here which the authorities removed, granting her compensation therefor.–ED.]

3 FAIRBANKS lived on Washington Street.

[page 558]

An important source of information is the Book of Possessions, compiled about A.D. 1645, and containing the names of the owners of land at the time.  It has been published by the City, being the second report of the Record Commissioners.  The following alphabetical list of the proprietors will be sufficient for our present purpose:–

[page 559]

LIST OF PERSONS DESCRIBED AS OWNERS OF LAND IN BOSTON IN THE BOOK OF POSSESSIONS.

[selected names]

  • BAKER, John
  • BATES, George
  • BISHOP, Nathaniel
  • BROWNE, Edward
  • BROWNE, Henry
  • BROWNE, William
  • BROWNE, James
  • FAIRBANKS, Richard
  • FAWER, Barnabas

[page 560]

  • MATTOX, James
  • MILOM, John
  • NANNEY, Robert
  • OLIVER, James
  • OLIVER, John
  • OLIVER, Thomas
  • PHILLIPS, John
  • PIERCE, William
  • SPOORE, John
  • SWEETE, John
  • SYNDERLAND, John
  • TAPPING, Richard

[page 565]

The fact that church-membership was long a necessary preliminary to recognition as a citizen makes it very desirable for us to know who were the early members of our First Church in Boston.  The list is often referred to by Savage and others, but has not been printed.  We therefore present all of the record of admissions prior to A.D. 1640, believing that no more valuable document can be offered to the genealogist.  We prefix numbers to the names for convenience.

[page 572]

The 24 of ye same 12th. Moneth [1638]:–

James MATTOCKE, a Cooper

[…]

The 14th Day of ye same 2d Moneth [1639]:–

John SPOURE, a Husbandman, and
Elizabeth his wife

John and Walter Mattocks: Mattocks

30 January 2009 Leave a comment

Source: John and Walter Mattocks, Mattocks (Chicago: unpublished manuscript, 1885).

NOTE: Harold has written that this manuscript contains an error. He informs us that the William Mattocks, born 20 June 1818 at Peacham, Vermont, married Eliza, daughter of Alexander Brock and Isabella Harvey of Barnett, Vermont. – Gregg Mattocks, 1 November 2009.

[page 1]

Law Office
John and Walter MATTOCKS
115 Monroe Street
Chicago, Ill.

MATTOCKS

James MATTOCKS

of Totness, County Devonshire, England, joined the colony of Massachusetts Bay prior to 1635.  He united with the church in 1639, and in March following was made a Freeman.  His daughter, Alice, prior to 1635, married Nathaniel BISHOP, and was after his death married to John LEWIS (LEWES).  His daughter, Mary, was married to Samuel BROWNE (by Governor ENDICOTT), in July 1661.  James died at Boston, in 1667, and his last will and testament appears recorded in book 1, page 541 of the Suffolk County Registry, appointing his wife Mary executrix.  He was father of Samuel, Alice and Mary.

Samuel MATTOCKS

Born at Boston, Massachusetts, was married to constance, daughter of Richard FAIRBANKE, March 30, 1653.  His name appears signed in 1675 to a petition addressed to the General Court of Massachusetts, for the removal of the Narragansett Indians from the Massachusetts Bay Colony.  He was father of James, Constance, Zaccheus, John, Elizabeth, Mehitable, Mary, and of

Samuel MATTOCKS

who was born October 15, 1659, and married Ann MARCH DADEY, February 12, 1688.  He was father of

James MATTOCKS

who was born in 1703, and died May 8th, 1766 at Middletown, Conn., where his remains rest in the first burial ground in the town.  He was father of James and Samuel.

[page 2]

James MATTOCKS

was father of John, James, Ichabod, Edna, Lucy, Sally and Theodosia, most of whom removed west, and have descendants, scattered throughout Western New York and Pa. and Ohio and Illinois.

Samuel MATTOCKS

was born in 1739 and is supposed to have resided in Westford, Conn. prior to his removal to Hartford County.  He married Sarah BURDELL, Mar. 14, 1763 and in 1778 resigned a Captain’s Commission in the Army, and emigrated with his family to Vermont, settling in Tinmouth, Rutland County, from which town he was in 1781 elected to the Vermont Legislature, which convened at Charlestown, New Hampshire in October of that year, and was re-elected for three succeeding terms.  In 1785 he was chosen member of the Ninth Council which position he resigned to accept the office of State Treasurer, to which he was elected in 1786 and which he filled continuously, by annual election until the year 1800.  From 1783 to 1789 and again in 1794, he was assistant judge of Rutland County Court, and Chief Judge in 1788-9.  He resigned the office of Treasurer July 28, 1800 on account of ill health and died Jan. 18, 1804.  He was father of Samuel, Rebecca, William, John and two daughters, Sarah and Mary who died in infancy.

Samuel MATTOCKS

born Dec. 17, 1764 at Hartford, Conn., removed to Tinmouth, Vermont with his father in 1778 and married Lucy Sage, daughter of Cephas SMITH, of Rutland Vermont Jan. 29, 1792.  He was sheriff of Addison County in 1813 and resided at Middlebury until his death in 1823.  He was father of Caroline, born October 25, 1792 who married Noadiah MOORE of Champlain, New York; of Lucy, born May 19, 1798, who married John A. RHODES, of Highgate, Vermont; of Samuel B. born Dec. 14, 1802, who married Harriet CHOATE, Dec. 7, 1827; of Henry, born Dec. 12, 1805, who married Martha PORTER of Danville, Vermont in 1839.  Two children, Sarah and Mary died in childhood.

[page 3]

Rebecca MATTOCKS was born in Hartford, Conn. Dec. 22, 1768 and resided at the time of her marriage, with her parents in Tinmouth, Ver.  Here Oct. 7, 1790 she married Samuel MILLER who settled in Middlebury in 1788, and ranked among the foremost lawyers of Vermont.  He was one of the founders of Middlebury College, and with hes wife, united with the Congregational Church, Sept. 12, 1805 to which he left a legacy of one thousand dollars at his death, April 17, 1810.  It was at their home that Governor MATTOCKS resided while studying law in Mr. MILLER’s office.  Mrs. MILLER died Nov. 23, 1841 leaving no children.

William MATTOCKS was born May 9, 1773 at Hartford, Conn. and at the age of five years accompanied his father to Tinmouth, Vermont where he remained until seventeen years of age.  He then entered Dartmouth College, where he graduated four years later.  He married Prudence DEMING, Oct. 2, 1801 and resided at Danville, Vermont, where he followed the practice of law from 1801 until his death May 21, 1842.  He was father of Laura, Sally, Jane, Emily, and of Mary who died at Bath, New Hampshire July 25, 1818 aged fifteen years and also fo William and Charles who died in childhood.

Laura MATTOCKS was born Nov. 7, 1802 and married George S. MANN son of Solomon MANN, of Fairlee, Vermont July 1, 1819.  She removed with her husband to San Francisco, California where they now reside.

Sally was born July 27, 1805 and married Danford CARPENTER at Danville, Vermont Dec. 9, 1824.  She died at Grand Rapids, Michigan Feb. 19, 1878.

Jane Rebecca MATTOCKS was born at Danville, Vermont April 12, 1814 and married Thomas B. VERMILYE of N.Y.City who died in Armonk, Westchester County, N.Y. Dec 6, 1866.  She resided after her husband’s death at Brooklyn, N.Y. and died July 13, 1880 at Lima, Ohio.

[page 4]

Emily MATTOCKS was born Feb. 21, 1818 and died unmarried at Brooklyn New York January 2, 1878.

John MATTOCKS

was born at Hartford, Connecticut, on the fourth day of March 1777, and resided during his early boyhood, in Tinmouth, Vermont.  At the age of fifteen, he went to Middlebury, and resided two years or more with his sister, Rebecca MILLER.  Here he commenced the study of law in the office of Samuel MILLER, but completed his studies with Judge Bates TURNER, at Fairfield, Vermont.  He was admitted to the bar at the February term, 1797, of the County Court of Franklin County, held at St. Albans, and commenced the practice of law in Danville, but soon afterward removed to Peacham, where he married Esther NEWELL, Sept. 4, 1810.  She was born July 21, 1792, and died on her birthday 1844 leaving four children living.  In 1807, 1815, 1816, 1823-24, Mr. MATTOCKS represented the town of Peacham in the general assembly, and was a delegate to the Constitutional Convention of 1836.  He was elected as a Whig to Congress in 1820 and 1824, and again in 1840.  He was chosen Judge of the Supreme Court in 1832, and declined a re-election the following year.

Mr. MATTOCKS was in 1806 one of the thirteen directors of the Vermont State Bank; Brigadier General of the State Militia in 1812, and Governor in 1843.  His home was in Peacham, where he practised law from the year 1800 until three years prior to his death, which occurred August 14, 1847.  He was the father of Katherine, John, Edward, William, George, and two daughters named Esther, who died in infancy.

Katherine, the surviving daughter, was born at Peacham, June 3, 1812, and resided with her parents until her marriage to James COWLES, Sept. 24, 1833.  After spending many years on a farm in Peacham, they removed to Rockford, Illinois, their present home.  Their daughter, Esther Newell, born September 12, 1838, is the wife of Dr. CHANDLER of that place.  Their son, John, born June 17, 1836, died July 30, 1858.

[page 5]

Edward MATTOCKS

Edward MATTOCKS was born in Peacham, Vermont, June 8, 1816.  He was a graduate of Middlebury College and studied medicine in the office of Dr. SHED in Peacham.  His wife Adeline A. KIMBALL, to whom he was married March 4, 1841, died Oct. 3, 1843.  He married Nancy J. SMITH of Lyndon, Feb. 16, 1847, who is still living at the latter place.

In the late war, he enlisted in the 3rd regiment of Vermont Volunteers, serving as Lieutenant, and as acting Assistant Adjutant-General in 1863.  He died Dec. 20, 1867 at York, Pennsylvania.  He was the father of Edward N., born at Lyndon, Vermont, Dec. 5, 1842, who served two years in the 3rd regiment of Vermont Volunteers, Company G, and died May 12, 1867, of disease contracted in the army.  He is buried with his father at York, Pennsylvania.

Of Nelo MATTOCKS, born Oct. 13, 1848, who died Jan. 28, 1849.  And of Estelle MATTOCKS, who was born in Lyndon, Vermont, Nov. 14, 1851, and married Adelbert DENISON of Burke, Vermont, Dec. 29, 1869, now living in Logan Grove, Dixon County, Nebraska.

Of Enos MATTOCKS, who was born in Lyndon, Vermont, Aug. 15, 1859, and married July 3, 1879, in DeWitt, Nebraska.

William MATTOCKS.

William MATTOCKS was born in Peacham, Vermont, June 20, 1818, and graduated at the Wesleyan University in Middleton, Conn. in 1838.  He married Eliza, daughter of Robert BROCK of Barnett, Vermont, Oct. 3, 1839, and followed the practice of law at Peacham, Vt., until his removal to Kenosha, Wis., in 1856, where he resided two years.  In 1858, he removed to Chicago where he practiced law until his death Dec. 22, 1859, of typhoid fever at the residence of Dr. Asshel FARR, Kenosha, Wis.  Mr. MATTOCKS was a Democratic candidate for Lieutenant Governor of Vermont, a candidate for the State Senate in 1857 and represented the town of Peacham several terms in the Legislature of that State.  He was the father of four chilren, the first a daughter, born Oct. 24, 1840, who died in infancy; the

[page 6]

second, Albert, born May 5, 1842, who died Feb. 24, 1844; third, William, born May 22, 1845, and who died at Brattleboro, Vermont, Sept. 2, 1862, an enlisted soldier in the Eleventh Regiment of Vermont Volunteers.  The fourth, Lizzie, born Oct. 2, 1847, married Dr. Charles B. NICHOLS of Franklin Falls, New Hampshire, Jan. 24, 1872, where she died June 10, 1883, leaving one child William, born Jan. 22, 1873.

George MATTOCKS.

George MATTOCKS was born in Peacham, Vermont, in 1823 and entered the Wesleyan University of Middletown, Connecticut, in 1837 where he remained two years, and commenced the study of law in his father’s office.  He died by suicide Jan. 23, 1844.

John MATTOCKS.

John MATTOCKS was born at Peacham, Vermont, July 19, 1814.  At the age of 14, he entered Middlebury College where he graduated in 1832.  He commenced the study of law in his father’s office and in March, 1834, went to Woodstock and remained four months in the law office of O.B. CHANDLER.  In 1835, he spent some months in the office of County Clerk at Danville and in Nov. of that year located in Troy, N.Y. where he entered the law office of CUSHMAN and SEYMOUR with whom he remained a short time.

While completing his studies in the office of Judge GOULD, he became converted to religion under the preaching of Rev. Dr. BEMAN, with whose church he united in June, 1836, and immediately commenced the study of divinity.  In 1837, he entered Yale, graduated in 1838, and entered the Presbyterian ministry.  On the 30th of Oct. 1838, Mr. MATTOCKS married Mary Elizabeth, born in Windsor, Vermont, March 23, 1818, and daughter of Ebenezer BREWER.  On the 15th day of Jan., 1839, Mr. MATTOCKS installed pastor of the Congregational Church at Keesville, New York, where he remained until called to St. Paul, Minn., as pastor of the First Presbyterian Church, in the fall of 1856.  His wife Elizabeth (as she was called) died in

[page 7]

Keesville, May 22, 1851, leaving five children living – John, Brewer, Julia, Helen and Charles – three, George, Susan and Francis, dying in their infancy.

On the 5th day of July, 1852, Mr. MATTOCKS married Frances H., born at Clintonville, Nov. 23, 1831, and daughter of Dr. Ira HAYWOOD.  She removed to St. Paul with her husband in 1856.  Dying on the 22nd day of April, 1869, she left four chilren all living, Walter, James, Sherwood and Fannie.

On the 18th day of August, 1870, Mr. MATTOCKS married Juliet A., born in Keeseville, N.Y., May 25, 1833, and daughter of Jesse POTTER, by whom he had one child, a daughter Jessie, still living.  On the 13th day of Nov., 1875, Mr. MATTOCKS died suddenly of apoplexy at his home in St. Paul.

John MATTOCKS.

John MATTOCKS, born at Keesville, N.Y., Aug. 13, 1839, removed to Chicago in July, 1859, and married Sarah F., daughter of Jacob HARRIS, March 15, 1868.  She was born Sept. 10, 1850, in Chicago where they now reside.  Their children are all living – John, born at Chicago April 18, 1869, Elizabeth, born at Chicago June 29, 1870 and Esther Louise, born at Chicago, July 17, 1876.

Brewer MATTOCKS.

Brewer MATTOCKS, born at Keesville, N.Y., Sept. 12, 1841, removed to St. Paul Minnesota, in 1856 and to Faribault, Minn., in 1881 where he now resides.  Nov. 28, 1865, he married Emma L. NORTON who was born at Montgomery, Ala., Sept. 14, 1840.  Their children, all living are: Brewer, born at St. Paul, Feb. 9, 1867; Norton, born at St. Paul, July 20, 1869 and Ellen Requier, born at St. Paul, May 15, 1873.

Julia Brewer MATTOCKS.

Julia Brewer MATTOCKS, born at Keeseville, N.Y., Aug. 6, 1845, was married at St. Paul, Minn., May 12, 1868, to Henry Johnson NORTHRUP of Saginaw, Mich., who was born at Shoreham, Vermont, May 9, 1837.  They reside at Saginaw City where their eldest child, Julia Mattocks who died Aug. 9, 1869, was born March 26, 1869.  Two sons are now living: Henry Mattocks, born at Saginaw Apr. 23, 1870 and John Mattocks, born at Saginaw, Sept. 16, 1881.

[page 8]

Helen Peabody MATTOCKS.

Helen Peabody MATTOCKS, born at Keesville, N.Y., Nov. 20, 1846, married Feb. 26, 1874, George SPENCER, who was born at Westminster, Vt., Nov. 26, 1843.  They reside at Duluth, Minn., and have three children: Elizabeth, born at Duluth, Minn., Jan. 5, 1875, George Herbert, born at Duluth, Minn., Aug. 7, 1876, and Helen Mattocks, born at Boston, Mass., May 2, 1883.

George MATTOCKS.

George MATTOCKS wa born at Keeseville, N.Y., June 9, 1844, where he died Oct. 8, 1844.

Susan Chandler MATTOCKS.

Susan Chandler MATTOCKS was born at Keesville, N.Y. June 18, 1848, where she died Oct. 9, 1848.

Francis MATTOCKS.

Francis MATTOCKS was born at Keeseville, Sept. 21, 1849, where he died Sept. 20, 1850.

Charles Finch MATTOCKS.

Charles F. MATTOCKS was born at Keeseville, March 12, 1851, where he died Aug. 10, 1853.

Walter Haywood MATTOCKS.

Walter H. MATTOCKS was born at Keeseville  June 21, 1856, and resides at Chicago.

James Selby MATTOCKS.

James S. MATTOCKS was born at St. Paul, Minn., Dec. 11, 1860.

Sherwood Spencer MATTOCKS.

Sherwood S. MATTOCKS was born at St. Paul March 18, 1863.

Fannie Thompson MATTOCKS.

Fannie T. MATTOCKS was born at St. Paul, May 31, 1867

Jessie Potter MATTOCKS.

Jessie P. MATTOCKS was born at St. Paul, Dec. 18, 1874.

Chicago, Jan. 1, 1885.

Records of the Emigrant James Mattocks

29 January 2009 Leave a comment

Source: Alfred. W. Little, Records of the Emigrant James Mattocks Who Settled in Boston, Massachusetts in the 1600s and of Some of His Descendants Who Migrated to Chautauqua County, New York (Silver Spring, Maryland: unpublished manuscript, 1996).

[page 1]

RECORDS OF
THE EMIGRANT JAMES MATTOCKS
WHO SETTLED IN BOSTON, MASSACHUSETTS IN THE 1600s
AND OF SOME OF HIS DESCENANTS
WHO MIGRATED TO CHAUTAUQUA COUNTY, NEW YORK

COMPILED BY ALFRED W. LITTLE
[address withheld]
NOVEMBER 21, 1996

This compilation is drawn from several sources: An undocumented study entitled Mattocks from the Law Office of John and Walter MATTOCKS, 115 Monroe Street, Chicago, Illinois, dated January 1, 1885; additional undocumented data obtained from Nancy Lou KYLE PABODY of Frewsberg, Chautauqua Co., N.Y. including information shared with her by the late Glen ALLEN of Topeka, Kansas.  Wherever I have been able to document information, the sources are noted immediately following.

~~~1~~~

JAMES (1) MATTOCKS of Totness, County Devonshire, England, (Mattocks, John and Walter MATTOCKS, op. cit., hereafter, JWM), died Boston, 1667; married MARY [SPOORE?], died 1682.

James MATTOCKS joined the Massachusetts Bay Colony prior to 1635 (JWM).  He united with the First Church in Boston on the 24th day of the 12th month of 1638 (First Church records), and was listed as a freeman under the date Mar. 13, 1638-39. (Mass. Col. Rec., vol. 1, p. 196, printed in New England Historic and Genealogical Register [NEHGR] 3:96, Jan., 1849).

Savage wrote that James MATTOCKS, cooper, came from Bristol, England to Boston, perhaps before 1635, that his daughter Alice was then the wife of Nathaniel BISHOP and suggested that perhaps all his children were born in England (James Savage. A Genealogical Dictionary of the First Settlers of New England, Vol. III (1862). Baltimore: Genealogical Pub. Co., 1965, p. 177).  However a Boston record 18 (4) 1638 noted that Boston selectmen allowed `John SPOOR late of Clapton, in Somersetshire, to buy Mr. Wm WILKES house and ground, and that his brother, James MATTOCKE, a cooper, shall have liberty to live with him or in some other place in this town’ (Boston Town Record I:34).  Charles E. Banks, citing Boston Town Records, declared that both SPOOR and James MATTOCK were from Clapton (C.E. Banks, Topographical Dictionary, p. 140).  [Yet it is understood that the term `brother’ as used in our early history meant a male sibling, a brother-in-law, or a brother in Christ.  Assuming that `brother’ meant in

[page 2]

this case `brother-in-law’, it can be taken that James MATTOCKS’ English origins have been tentatively established as being Clapton, rather than Totness as is stated in the Mattocks study (JWM).  It may well be that SPOOR was the brother of Mary, thus establishing Mary MATTOCKS’ maiden name].

James MATTOCKS was admitted to the church at Mt. Wollaston for the winter season 24 (9) 1639 (C.H. Pope, Pioneers of Massachusetts, 1900, pp. 306-07).

The Book of Possessions, published about 1645, reported the names of owners of land in Boston, including those of James MATTOX and John SPOORE. (Justin Winsor. The Memorial History of Boston, 1630-1880. Boston: James Osgood Co., 1881, Vol. 1, p. 559-60).  A site purchased by James MATTOCK, cooper, from Anthony STODDARD (16th day, 11th month, 1644, Suffolk Co. Deed I:156) was on Exchange Street which appears to be about one street distant from the site where Faneuil Hall was located 100 years later.  Land sold to James MATTOCK in 1646 faced the then-waterfront on the south side of the `Neck’. (Ibid., Vol. 2, p. iv, vii, xii, xiv, xix).  On July 27, 1653 James MATTOCKS was deeded from the Samuel BARNES estate a house, buildings, land, and a wharf facing the sea (Suffolk County Deed I:309).  On the same day he deeded to Samuel and Constance MATTOCKS a house, buildings, land and wharf in Boston, with shop lately built, adjoining to the west land of said James MATTOCK; facing the sea (Ibid., I:311).

On October 18, 1648 Thomas VENNER, James MATTUCK [and four others named], “and the rest of the coopers of Boston and Charlestowne” were granted leave to “meete together” for the purpose of incorporating themselves into a guild for mutual protection. (Mass. Col. Rec. II:250 in NEHGR 47-438, Oct., 1893 and Records of Colony of Mass. Bay, Vol. III. Boston: William White, 1854, p. 133).

Later in 1654, James MATTOCK served on the jury of inquest in the case numbered 270 considering the cause of death of Matthew CANNEDGE, found to have been bludgeoned, according to the judgment returned 4th day, 10th month, 1654 at the Suffolk Court House. (NEHGR 96-273, July 1942).

James MATTOCK Sr. was appointed Packer of Flesh and Fish at a town meeting, Mar. 12, 1654-55.  (Town Record 2:122-23, published in Robert Francis Seybolt. The Town Officials of Colonial Boston 1634-1775. Cambridge: Harvard Univ. Press, 1939, p. 21).

In his will dated Jan. 21, 1666, James MATTOCK appointed his wife, Mary MATTOCK, as executrix.  He gave 20 shillings each to his son, Samuel; his daughter Alice, wife of John LEWES; and to Mary, wife of Samuel BROWNE.  The will was probated Aug. 1, 1667. (Recorded Book I:541).  An inventory of the estate valued it at 277 pounds, 15 shillings, 5 pence. (Book V:48) (from Abstract of Early [Boston] Wills, NEHGR 15-325, Oct., 1861).

Mary MATTOCK’s will, written Jan. 8, 1680 and probated April 11, 1682 bequeathed to son Samuel and his children, James and Samuel; daughter Alice HOW, grandchildren Samuel and Joseph LEWIS, daughter Mary BISHOP; and grandchildren James, Mary, and Samuel BROWNE and Hannah BYSHOP (Pope, op. cit., pp. 307).

[page 3]

Children of James and Mary MATTOCKS:

1. Samuel, born, probably England 1625-35; married Constance FAIRBANKE.

2. Alice, born 1613-18, died, 1688; married 1632 Nathaniel BISHOP; married, second, 1659 John LEWIS (LEWES) (Savage, op. cit, Vol. I:185, Vol. 3:87).; married, third, 1668, Abraham HOW, Sr.; married fourth, 1683, John HARRIS.

3. Mary, married Boston July 9, 1661 Samuel BROWNE.  By Jo: ENDECOTT, Govr. (Boston Marriages, NEHGR 20-42, Jan. 1866).

~~~2~~~

SAMUEL 2 MATTOCKS, son of James and Mary (SPOORE?) MATTOCKS, born Boston [?] 1625-1635 (JWM), died Boston after 1691/2 (  ); married Boston 30th day, 1st month, 1653, CONSTANCE FAIRBANKE, baptised 10th day, 11th month, 1635, daughter of Richard and Elizabeth (____) FAIRBANKE. (Boston City Document 130 and First Church Record in Boston. Births, Baptisms, Marriages and Deaths, 1630-1699. City of Boston, 1883, p. 3, 43).  See final pages for the FAIRBANKS genealogy.

Samuel MATTOCK was appointed as one of two Cullers of Staves in 1669 and again in 1672/73. (Town Meeting Records. Seybolt, op. cit, p. 38, 43).  He was appointed to the same position at the meeting of Selectmen for the years 1671/72 to 1691/92.  (Ibid. 42-55, passim.)

Records of the Suffolk County Court, Session of 28 January, 1672-73: “Samuell MATTOCK presented for Idleness & neglecting his Family of which hee was convict in Court.  The Court Sentanceth him to bee sent to the house of correction for an idle person & to pay Fees of Court.” (Colonial Society of Massachusetts.  Records of the Suffolk County Court. Boston: the Society, 1933.  Vol. 29, page 231).  A 1676 record: “Constance MATTOX … had her licence renewed to keepe a Cookes Shop & sell beere & Sider by retaile … & her husband Samll MATTOX gave in bond Sureties for her observance of the laws … & that Shee should not sell Sider for more than two pence a quart.” (op. cit. Vol. 30, p. 700).  In a 1678 suit against Samuel MATTOCK he paid the plaintiff “three pounds Sixteen Shillings & six pence to be paid in money and Six thite barrells.” (Ibid., p. 933).

The name of Samuel MATTOCKE appears as one of ninety petitioners in a petition dated Feb. 22, 1675 [drafted during the course of King Philip’s War] addressed to the General Court of Massachusetts requesting that “… Fronteire townes be sufficiently Garrisoned to defend them from the rage of the Enimie” and that “some speedy Course be taken for the removall of those Indians that dwell in and amongst our Plantation to some place farther remote from us”. (Petition to the General Court, Relative to the War 1675-6, Mass. Archives 68:140, in NEHGR 16-62, Jan. 1862).

His burial site has not been determined.  Copp’s Hill Burial Ground records, all of which appear to be published epitaphs, headstone inscriptions, etc., do not include the name of Samuel or Constance MATTOCK.

[page 4]

MATOCKS Probate Records, Suffolk Co.: **CHECK THE FOLLOWING**: 1. Ann-Guardianship 6218; 2. Constance-Will 3977; Eliz.-Guardianship 6219; 4. Jas.-Will 462; Jas.-Will 1768.

Children of Samuel and Constance MATTOCKS, all born at Boston:

1.Samuel, born Oct. 15,1659. (Boston City Document (BCD)130, p. 69).

2.Elizabeth 1661-Sept. 3,1661. (Ibid., p. 80).

3.James, born Oct. 27,1662, (Ibid., p. 84).

4.Constance, born Sept. 10, 1665. (Town Record in BCD 130, p. 96).

5.Zaccheus, born Sept. 15, 1668, died 1690. (Savage, op. cit., p. 177)

6.John, born Sept. 14,1669 (BCD 130, p. 111); married Elizabeth ___, born Boston, 1701. (Clarence Almon Torrey, New England Marriages Prior to 1700. Baltimore: Genealogical Pub. Co.,1985, p. 497).

7.Elizabeth, born Aug. 18, 1670; married Jan. 6, 1697 William AMBROSE. (BCD 130, p. 115, 135).

8.Mehitabel, born Nov. 7, 1672; married Boston Aug. 29,1694 John BANKS (Ibid., p. 124, 217).

9.Mary, born Nov. 13, 1673, died Nov.12,1689. (Ibid. p. 128, 187).

10.Fairbanck, born Feb. 11, 1676. (Ibid., p. 138).

~~~3~~~

SAMUEL 3 MATTOCKS, son of Samuel and Constance FAIRBANKE(S) MATTOCKS, born Boston, Oct. 15, 1659, died, probably Boston, after 1702; married Charlestowne 2nd month 12th day, 1688 ANN MARCH, “daughter to ye Widdow DADEY of Charlestown”. (City Document 101, Boston Marriages. Boston: Municipal Ptg. Co., 1903; reprinted Baltimore: Genealogical Ptg. Co., 1977, page 291).  Ann MARCH was the daughter of the late John and Martha (___) MARCH DADY of Charlestown.  The `Widow DADEY’, whose given name was Martha, had been the wife and widow of John MARCH of Charlestown; she was again widowed at the death of John DADY, whom she married on June 29, 1676 in Charlestown, where the records denote her as `Elizabeth MARCH, widow’ (Charlestown VR I:75 in Robt. Charles Anderson. The Great Migration Begins. Boston; NEHGS, 1995, I:507).  John DADY’s will was proved June 20, 1682 (MPR 5721 in Anderson, op. cit. I:506).  John MARCH, settling in Charlestown, originated in the Parish Stepney (Shadwell), County Middlesex, England (Charles E. Banks, Topographical Dictionary, p. 112).

“Samll MATTOCK junr” is listed among the names of those who took the oath of allegiance in Boston the 11th of November, 1678, the oath being administered by the Honorable John LEVERETT, Governor. (Records of the Suffolk County Court printed in Colonial Society of Massachusetts. Collections. Boston: the Society, 1933, pp. 962-66).

Samuel MATTOCK was appointed as one of four hogreeves at the town meeting, March 11,

[page 5]

1694-95 as recorded in town records 7:219-20. (Seybolt, op. cit., p. 90).

A Samuel MATTOCKS, tailor of Boston, was named as a surety in the administration of an estate in Dec., 1710. (Suffolk County Probate File 3284 as printed in NEHGR 143-43, Jan. 1989).  [The relationship between Samuel, the hogreeve, and Samuel, the tailor, has not been established.  If they are one and the same this would explain undocumented assertions that he died in 1710].

Children of Samuel and Ann MARCH MATTOCKS, all born in Boston:

1.Samuel, born Dec. 17,1688, (BCD 130, p. 181), died 1727; married first, Sept. 11, 1712 Admonition TUCKER; married, second, Feb. 25, 1722, Sarah CROSS; married, third, Jan. 2, 1727, Mary SPOONER. (BCD 150, Boston Marriages, 1700-1809 Boston: Municipal Ptg. Office 1899, reprinted Baltimore: Gen. Pub. Co., 1977, p. 41,108,139).

2.Elizabeth, born Sept. 20,1691 (BCD 130, p. 196); married Boston, Sept. 19,1710 John MAVERICK.  (NEHGR 97:56, Jan.,1943).

3.James, born Sept. 4, 1694, (Town records, printed in Boston City Document 130 in Boston Births, p. 215: “James of Samuel and Ann MATTOCK, born Sept. 4, 1694).  Page 219: James of Samuel MATTOX died Sept. 3, 1694.  Page 220, First Church Record: James MATTOCKS baptised Sept. 9, 1694).  [The recorded death may well be an error].

4.Ann, born July 21, 1702, (BCD 43, Boston Births, 1700-1800. Boston, 1899, reprinted Baltimore, Gen. Ptg. Co., 1978, p. 16), died 1758; married 1739 Thomas BAKER. (Glenn ALLEN (GA) family data provided to Nancy KYLE PABODY).

~~~4~~~

JAMES 4 MATTOCKS, son of Samuel and Ann MARCH MATTOCKS, born Boston, Sept. 4, 1694, died Middletown, Conn., May 8, 1766 (JWM); married Feb. 24, 1726 SARAH PIERCE, (spelled PEARCE and PEARSE in BCD 150, p. 133), born 1710, died 1768. (GA).  Dr. Cotton MATHER officiated at the marriage of James and Sarah. (BCD 150, p. 133).

The name of James MATTOCKS, Sentinel, appears as one among a total of nineteen sentinels and five officers on the Muster Roll of Captain John PENHALLOW from June 8th to November 15th, 1725.  (Letters of Col. Thomas WESTBROOK and others Relative to Indian Affairs in Maine; Mass. Archives 91:204-05; printed in NEHGR 49:187-188, April, 1895).  That this was dangerous duty is exemplified by Colonel WESTBROOK’s account of the experience of one of James’ fellow troopers, Sentinel Morgan MILES: “Morgan MILES from May 12th 1724 to Augt 18th 1725 put in p’ Approba[tion] of His Honr the Lt Govr; the sd MILES be taken at Arrowsick and Carrd away p’ ye Indians to Canada, who made his Escape from them and Return’d to His Post.”  (Ibid.)  [Morgan MILES served in the same company alongside James MATTOCKS.  Capt. John PENHALLOW figured prominently in the efforts of Massachusetts to protect the settlers along the Maine coast from attacks by the Eastern Indians].  Two additional excerpts from Colonel WESTBROOK’s letters to Governor DUMMER of Massachusetts will suggest the hazards faced by

[page 6]

troopers such as James MATTOCKS under the command of Captain PENHALLOW.  ” … [I] now wait for a fair wind to send Cap PENHALLOW with twenty men on board the Sloop to proceed to Arrowsick & St Georges, to see whether the Indians have not attckt those garrisons … There was sixty Indians at Blackpoint when they burnt the houses and kill’d the Cattle there, on the 29th of last April … [Falmouth, June 23d 1725].”  ” … The wind came fair for Capt PENHALLOW to go East, which he Embract, and the Sloop had not been out of sight more than an hour before I rec’d a verbal acct from Lt Dominicus JORDAN (who was out with his Scout) that the Indians had kill’d a man at Spurwick garrison, and that he heard the Guns, and was on ye spott in less than two hours … [Falmouth, June 24th 1725]. (Mass. Achives 52:206-207.  Printed in NEHGR 47:158-59, April, 1893).  In giving instructions to the commanders of the two troops drawn out of the County of Essex to defend the towns in the County of York [Maine], Lieutenant Governor William DUMMER wrote from Boston, June 21, 1721 [1725?], “The Troopers must be assured, for their Encouragement, That the Governmt will allow them 100 lb. for each Scalp, besides their Wages, for such Indians as they shall kill in their Marchings & Scoutings” (Mass. Arch. 52:204, printed in NEHGR, op. cit., p. 157).  [For an account of this struggle see Francis Parkman, A Half-Century of Conflict, Chapter 10 and 11, in France and England in North America, Vol. II, New York: Literary Classics of the United States, 1983].

The James MATTOCKS family evidently moved to Middletown during the period 1731-1739, between the births of Anne and Samuel.  The baptism record of Samuel suggests that the arrival to Middletown was recent, inasmuch as James was still a member of the North Church in Boston.

The land records of Middletown, Connecticut, establish several land transactions involving James MATTOCKS.  On July 26, 1745 Abijah MOORE conveyed one acre of land bounded by Mill Brook to James MATTOCKS for 30 pounds (11:416).  A one acre parcel bounded on one side by Mill Brook was conveyed by James to Matthew TALCOTT on Nov. 22, 1748 for 100 pounds. (12:178).  On March 20, 1749/50 James MATTOCK conveyed to Matthew TALCOTT one acre in the town plot together with a dwelling partly finished for 190 pounds (13:43).  Finally, on May 14, 1754 Giles HALL deeded to James MATTOCKS a parcel on the west side of the river in Middletown for “Forty Pounds Money of the old Tenor”.  (15:234).

James MATTOCKS evidently died intestate; no will is recorded nor are survivors named although one court record dated Mar. 30, 1768 refers to the `widdow’s dower’ (Probate Record II B:137).  Over date of July 22, 1767, the commission appointed to settle the estate of James MATTOCKS found it insolvent with debts of twenty pounds and inventoried assets of eleven pounds.  The inventory, presented to the court on Mar. 30, 1768, consisted of one-half acre of land, a large quantity of woodworking tools including a turning lathe valued at 2 shillings; also a “New trundel bed sted” valued at 4 shillings, a “meet tub” at 1s, 6 p, and 1 small Bible, as well as household furniture and clothing (II:419-20).

[James is said to be buried at the Riverside Cemetery in Middletown  However, records

[page 7]

of cemetery inscriptions and epitaphs housed at the Middletown Public Library make no mention of the MATTOCKS name].

Children of James and Sarah PIERCE MATTOCKS:

1.Sarah, born Boston, Jan. 15, 1727. (BCD 43, p. 182).

2.Ann(e), born Boston, Oct. 12, 1731 (Ibid., p. 204); married, Middletown, Nov. 9,1752 John CHIPMAN.  (Middletown Vital Records, vol. 2, p. 268).

3.James (JWM) born 1737. (GA).

4.Samuel, born Middletown, Dec. 30, 1739 (Middletown VR, 2:38), “Samuel, son of James, baptised Jan. 6, 1739/40, `father being a member in full communion with the new North Church in Boston'”.  (I:67, 1st Cong. Ch., Middletown), died Vermont, Jan. 18,1804 (DAR Patriot Index, Part 2, p. 1875 and Vermont Vital Records); married Hartford, Conn., March 14, 1763 Sarah BIRDWELL.  (First Church of Hartford Record, 1:252).  First born: Samuel, baptised Dec. 23, 1764 (1st Church Record, 1:27).  Captain Saml. MATTOCKS was commissioned in the Connecticut Line Jan. 1, 1777, credited to the Town of Hartford. (Rolls and Lists of Connecticut Men in the Revolution, 1775-1783. Hartford: Conn. Hist. Soc., 1901, p. 49).  He resigned on Apr. 20, 1779. (Register of Army Officers, 1779-1879. Washington: T.H.S. Hamersly, (1881). Baltimore: Gen. Pub. Co., p. 15).  Samuel was in residence in Tinmouth, Rutland Co., Vermont in 1778.

5.Mary, born Middletown, June 22, 1742. (Middletown VR 2:38).

6.Sarah, born Middletown, July 10,1744 (Ibid.), died 1805 (GA); married Litchfield, Conn., Feb. 24, 1765 Jesse KILBORN. (Litchfield VR 1:61)

7.John, born Middletown, Aug. 2, 1746 (Middletown VR 2:38), died 1769. (GA).

8.Joseph, born Middletown Aug. 21, 1751, died Jan. 21, 1758 (Middletown VR 2:38).

~~~5~~~

JAMES 5 MATTOCKS, son of James and Sarah PIERCE MATTOCKS, born probably Middletown or Westford (Westfield?), Conn., 1737 (GA), died after May 4, 1796; married, first, 1756, SARAH _____; James married, second, Litchfield, 1787, (GA), Mehitabel SMITH, widow of John SMITH who had died in early 1786. (Litchfield Prob. Rec. 4:264-65).

James MATTOCKS served in three successive campaigns during the French and Indian War.  During the Campaign of 1756 he served in the Second Regiment, Third Company under Major Jehosaphat STARR of Middletown from April 2 to November 4, 1756.  A muster roll of this company is dated Camp at Fort William Henry Oct. 13, 1756. (Rolls of Connecticut Men in the French and Indian War. Hartford: Connecticut Historical Society, 1903, Vol. I:114-16).  James MATTOCK’s name also appears on the rolls in Colonel Joseph THATCHER’s Regiment for 1756, again under Major STARR. (Ibid., p. 116).  In the Campaign of 1757, he served from March 28 to December 1 under Captain Eliphalet WHITTLESEY of Newington and First Lieutenant Timothy

[page 8]

HIERLIHY of Middletown in Col. Phineas LYMAN’s Regiment. (Ibid., p. 185-87).  In 1758 James MATTOCKS served from March 28 to December 6 in the First Regiment, Sixth Company under Captain Samuel GAYLORD of Middletown under the command of Major General James ABERCROMBIE, Commander-in-Chief of the King’s Forces in North America. (Ibid., vol. II:16-18).

It is of interest to determine where James MATTOCKS served during these three campaigns in the struggle we call the French and Indian War and which in Europe is termed the Seven Years War.  In the Campaign of 1756 some New England recruits were sent to Oswego to reinforce that fort on Lake Ontario.  Thousands of provincial troops massed at Fort Edward and Fort William Henry in Washington County, N.Y. in preparation for an attack on Ticonderoga ── an attack which did not occur.  The militia record above places James MATTOCKS at Fort William Henry in October, 1756.  One can only conjecture where he served during the spring and summer.

The month of August, 1757 saw the fall of Fort William Henry, situated at the southern end of Lake George.  Occupied by British and Colonial troops and family members, the fort was ill-prepared to withstand a siege by superior French and Indian forces under MONTCALM.  After the surrender, MONTCALM’s Indian allies attacked the disarmed troops and their families.  This event, known in colonial history as the Fort William Henry Massacre, is described in James Fenimore COOPER’s The Last of the Mohicans and in Francis Parkman.  Montcalm and Wolfe (1884), Ch. XV in France and England in North America, Vol. II. New York: The Library of America, 1893.  Colonial records suggest that James MATTOCKS, under the command of Phineas LYMAN, was stationed at Fort Edward, only a few miles distant from Fort William Henry.  These records place Colonel Phineas LYMAN at Claverack, New York on May 3, 1757, Vanantwerp in Scortercork on May 16, Saratoga May 23-25, and Fort Edward from May 28 to Nov. 18, 1757. (General Orders of 1757 Issued by the Earl of Loudon and Phineas LYMAN in the Campaign Against the French. New York: Dodd, Mead and Co., 1899.  Copy at Conn. State Library, Hartford).  Survivors of the surrender and massacre would have made their way to Fort Edward.

In the Campaign of 1758, British and provincial forces took the fortress at Louisbourg in July.  The same month another British and provincial force with General James AMBERCROMBIE at its head attempted and failed to take Ticonderoga in a poorly-executed and disastrous effort.  In August, Fort Frontenac at the head of the St. Lawrence River was wrested from the French, as was Fort Duquesne in November, 1758.  Undoubtedly James MATTOCKS was part of the failed attempt under AMBERCROMBIE in the attempt to take Ticonderoga.

In August 1766 Nathaniel WOODRUFF conveyed to James MATTOCKS two and one-half acres adjoining the highway running from the Court House to the Church in Litchfield. (Deeds 6:174).  Then on Oct. 7, 1767 James sold for 13 pounds the same property, two and one-half acres with a dwelling house, to his brother Samuel MATTOCKS of Hartford County. (8:24).  Samuel MATTOCKS later deeded back the property to James, who sold it for eighty pounds on March 1, 1784. (10:191, 11:426).

On May 17, 1790 James and Mehitabel MATTOCKS and Wait SMITH quitclaimed their

[page 9]

interest in three-fourths acre in Litchfield to David KILBORN, the property belonging to Mehitabel, being part of the estate of Mehitabel’s late husband, John SMITH. (13-363).

In September, 1793 a house on two and one-quarter acres was conveyed by J. STRONG to John MATTOCKS, his wife Sally, and daughter Idea. (15-514).  [Is this the son of James 5 or another John, perhaps a cousin?].

Evidently his home place was sold on March 1, 1784 when James MATTOCKS sold two and one-half acres with a house, shop, and barn thereon for 80 pounds. (Litchfield Land Records 11:426)

On July 28, 1793 James MATTOCKS and Mehitabel, his wife, signed separation papers effectively ending their marriage. (Land Records, Litchfield, 15:701-703).  Mehitabel remained in Litchfield where she was residing in 1807 and 1809 when she quitclaimed her interest in property in the estate of her late husband John SMITH. (25:21, 25:157).

James MATTOCKS was a resident of Kingsbury, Washington County, N.Y. in 1796 when he personally appeared in Litchfield on May 4th to execute for 37 pounds a quitclaim to his interest in one-quarter acre of land in Litchfield. (Land Record 15:742).  James’ interests in the land were deeded to Elnathan HOLLEY, the husband of James’ daughter, Anne.

The choice of Washington County as a new residence after a failed marriage appears to have been a logical one.  James MATTOCKS was no stranger to Washington Co.; as a young man he had served there for three campaigns during the French and Indian War.  Also, James’ brother, Samuel, had settled in Rutland Co., Vt.,
which adjoins Washington County to the east.

The name MATTOCKS or variations thereof do not appear in the census for Washington County in 1790 or for 1810.  However, for the U.S. Census of 1800, Town of Queensbury, three MATTOCKS families are enumerated: the James MATTICKS household; two males under ten, two males 26-45; 1 female under 10, 1 female 16-26 living side-by-side with the John MATTICKS household with two males under 10, one male 26-45, and one male over 45; one female under 10, one female 16-26 (Census roll, page 209).  Nearby is the John MATTOX household with three males under 10, one 26-45 and one over 45 and two females under 10, one 16-26, living next door to the Clark BURLINGIM family (page 210).  Possibly one of the over-45 males living in the John MATTICKS or the John MATTOX household is James (5), the father of John, James, and Ichabod.  Ichabod himself may well be the second adult male, age 26-45 living in the James MATTICKS household, not far from the BURLINGAME family where Eunice resided.

A 1799 land sale by James MATTOCKS of Kingsbury, Washington County, deeding one acre of land in the Village of Sandy Hill, part of Lot 25, for the sum of 200 pounds was recorded on April 25, 1800. (D:386).  [Sandy Hill is the former name of the present Village of Hudson Falls, probably only five miles from Fort Edward.  The identity of the seller of the land, whether father or son, remains uncertain, although the considerable sum involved suggests James MATTOCKS, senior].

No sources have been located describing any involvement by James MATTOCKS in the Revolutionary War.  His name is not found in Connecticut Revolutionary War Service or Index

[page 10]

to Revolutionary War Service, both indices housed at the U.S. Archives, Washington, D.C.  Nor is his name listed in a published volume by the Litchfield DAR describing those who provided non-military service in the Revolutionary War, 1774-1784.

No probate records exist in Litchfield or Washington County for James MATTOCKS.

Children of James and Sarah (____) MATTOCKS:

1.James, born 1758, died 1758.  (Mattocks-“James, his son bd. Jan 24, 1758”. Christ Church, Middletown, VI:31).

2.John, born 1760; married 1779 Abigail. (GA).  An additional record for a John MATTOCKS, born 1771; married, 1789, Sally. (GA).  John MATTOCKS, a Windsor chairmaker in Litchfield in 1797. (Alain C. White, History of Litchfield, 1720-1920. Litchfield: Enquirer Printing, 1920, p. 130; George M. Woodruff. A Genealogical Register of Residents in Litchfield, 1720-1800.  Hartford Press, 1900, page 148, only the given name `John’ is provided – no birthdate).

3.Lucy, born Litchfield, Conn., Jan. 30, 1762. (Litchfield VR 1:64).

4.Anne, born Litchfield, Dec.5.1763 (Ibid.); married Litchfield Sept. 28, 1783 Elnathan HOLLY. (VR 1:81).

5.Sarah, born Litchfield June 29,1765 (VR 1:64), died Dec. 2, 1852 (Woodruff, Ibid.); married Litchfield, July 24,1783 Andrew PALMER. (VR 1:155; 2:172).

6.Edna, born Litchfield Sept. 16, 1767 (VR 1:64), died 1787. (GA).

7.Sally (GA). [Perhaps a reference to Sarah?].

8.James, born 1770, died Springfield, Pa., July 12, 1858; married Nov. 3, 1791 Abigail TAYLOR.  (Marriage notice, Litchfield Weekly Monitor, Nov. 9, 1791; Woodruff, name only provided; see below*).

9.Theodosia (GA).

10.Ichabod, (Woodruff, name only provided), Litchfield, Dec. 23, 1773 (GA).

[Note: Woodruff lists seven children: Lucy, Anne, Sarah, and Edna with birthdates and perhaps other data but the three boys James, John, and Ichabod have no accompanying data].

*James MATTOCKS, Jr., born Kingsbury, Wash. Co., N.Y. Dec. 17, 1796 came [to Springfield Town, Bradford County] with his father Captain James MATTOCKS in 1806.  Captain MATTOCKS, a soldier in the War of 1812, died July 12, 1858, age 88.  James Jr. died 1887; his wife was born Granville, Wash. Co., 1798.  (H.C. Bradsby. History of Bradford County, Pennsylvania. Chicago: S.B. Nelson, 1891, p. 1013).  [U.S. Archives data on soldiers of the War of 1812 shows no Capt. James MATTOCKS from the State of Pennsylvania.  Most likely he obtained his Captaincy after the war as a member of a local Pennsylvania militia.  No James MATTOCKS is listed in the New York Council of Appointments, Military Minutes, 1783-1821.  Bradford Co. is immediately south of Elmira, N.Y.  Columbia Cross Road is a nearby village, just west of Springfield Township].

[page 11]

~~~6~~~

ICHABOD 6 MATTOCKS, son of James and Sarah MATTOCKS, born Litchfield, Conn., Dec. 23, 1773, (GA), died Independence, Allegany Co., N.Y., Mar. 4, 1833 (Probate File 18, Batavia, N.Y.); married probably Queensbury, Washington Co., N.Y. Jan. 24, 1802 (GA) EUNICE LORRAINE BURLINGAME, born Fairfield, Franklin Co., Vermont, Jan. 14, 1781 (Nelson Burlingame, Burlingame Manuscript, Merrilan, Wis., 1971, I:149), died, Chautauqua Co., probably at Gerry, New York, Oct. 8, 1857, age 76-8-24 (Chrowe’s Corner Cemetery records, published in Jamestown, N.Y. Post-Journal, Dec. 27, 1969), daughter of Clark and Patience (SOPER) BURLINGAME (Burlingame Manuscript, Ibid.).  Eunice married, second, 1833-1838, Stephen THAYER.

The MATTOCKS and BURLINGAME families were near neighbors in Queensbury, Washington Co., N.Y. in 1800.  A few years later both the Clark BURLINGAME and the Ichabod MATTOCKS families had moved westward to Genesee County.

Land records of the Holland Land Company indicate that Ichabod MATTOCKS purchased land in lot 6, town 10, range 2 on May 11, 1811. (Karen Livsey, Western New York Land Transactions, 1804-1824. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1991, pp. 66, 226, 227, 308).  Originally part of Genesee County, Town 10 (Attica) is now part of Wyoming County.  Lot 6 is located in the east-central area of the town near Attica Center. (Land ownership map of Wyoming Co., N.Y.; Philadelphia: Newel S. Brown, 1853).

Military records for the War of 1812 show a Private Ichabod MATTOCKS in Capt. Cheney MUNGER’s Company, Major Parmenio ADAM’s Regiment, New York State Volunteers.  The name appears on the company muster roll and the pay roll for the same period: Dec. 20, 1813 to Jan. 5, 1814.  Term of service-17 days.  Pay per month, 8 dollars; amount of pay received: 4 dollars 38 cents. (U.S. Archives, Military Records, War of 1812).  New York State records confirm that Chauncey MUNGER was appointed as Ensign in 1809, Genesee County and as Cheney MUNGER as Captain in Genesee County in 1811. (Military Minutes of the Council of Appointments, 1783-1821, Volume II. Albany: State Printer, 1901, p. 1100, 1275).

U.S. Archives sources list no pension applications for Ichabod or his father, James.

The 1810 New York Census records Ichabod MATTOCKS in the Town of Sheldon, Genesee County, New York.  (Two males under 10, one 26-44; one female under 10, one 26-44).  Sheldon Town at that time included present-day Sheldon, Arcade, Java, Attica, Bennington, Orangeville, and Wethersfield Townships.  No other MATTOCKS households are enumerated in the 1810 census for Genessee County.  The 1820 New York Census locates Ichabod in Alexander Town, Genesse Co., (p. 006).  (Four males under 10, two 10-15, one 26-44; two females under 10, one 26-44).  By 1830 he and his family were in Attica, now Wyoming Co. (p. 115).  (Two males 10-15, two 15-20, one 50-60; one female 20-30, one 50-60).  The Constantine RUGG household is enumerated two lines from `Achabod MATTOCK’.  Betsy RUGG was to marry James MATTOCKS four years hence.

Land records for Genesse County show that on May 13, 1825 Ichabod received by deed

[page 12]

from the Holland Land Company 58 acres, being the north part of lot 6, section seven, town ten [Town of Attica].  The total amount paid was $366.94. (13:310).  Ichabod MATTOCKS and Eunice, his wife, sold part of the original parcel on May 6, 1825 for $160. (19:99).

Ichabod MATTOCKS joined the Presbyterian Church of Attica in 1829. (Church records of births, membership, marriage, 1823-1939).

Ichabod died in Independence, N.Y. after falling ill there, probably during a journey to visit his brother, James, in Springfield, Bradford County, Pennsylvania.  On Sept. 23, 1833, James MATTOCKS [presumably Ichabod’s son], deposed that Ichabod MATTOCKS died on or about the 4th day of March last in the home of Nathaniel COVILLE in the Town of Independence when he was there with an inflammation of the lungs while on a journey and died after about a week’s sickness.  The deposition names Eunice as the widow and eight surviving children as named below, all of the Town of Attica. (File 18, Genessee Co. Surrogate’s Office, Batavia, N.Y.).   Probate Records (1:217) indicate that he died intestate.  On Sept. 25, 1833 his son, James, was appointed administrator of the estate after Eunice MATTOCKS renounced the responsibility.  An inventory of personal property of an agricultural nature was totaled at a value of $442. (1:442, file 18).

On May 2, 1836 the heirs of Ichabod MATTOCKS (Francis MOORE and Polly, his wife; Sally MATTOCK; Ichabod MATTOCK and Malinda, his wife; James MATTOCK and Betsy, his wife; and Truman MATTOCK) quitclaimed to John MATTOCK their interest in the estate of Ichabod MATTOCKS, Senior.  Ichabod and Malinda signed the document on Sept. 14, 1836 in Genesee County; the remaining six, Francis, Polly, James, Betsy, Truman, and Sally signing in Chautauqua County, New York on July 4, 1836. (44:260).  Steven THAYER and Eunice, his wife, of the town of Orangeville, Genesee County, Eunice “being the widow and relict of Ichabod MATTOCK of the Town of Attica” quitclaimed for $200.00 their interest in the estate of Ichabod MATTOCK. (Aug. 13, 1838; 51:82).  Samuel MATTOCK of the Town of Gerry, County of Chautauqua, sold his interest in 1839 (49-497), as did John MATTOCK and Mary, his wife, of Attica, on Aug. 10, 1838. (49:495).

Ichabod MATTOCKS may be buried at the Attica Center Cemetery.  Eunice BURLINGAME MATTOCK THAYER, who died in 1857, is buried near her son, John, at the Maple Grove Cemetery (Chrowe’s Corner) in Gerry, Chautauqua County.

Children of Ichabod and Eunice MATTOCKS (Information from Nancy KYLE PABOY [sic]):

1.Ichabod, born Oct. 11, 1803, died 1851; married Sept. 25, 1826 Malinda JONES, born 1803, died 1870.

2.Laura, born July 2, 1805, died Jan. 5, 1806.

3.James, born Dec. 16, 1806. (Lilli ELY LITTLE Datebook).

4.Polly, born Feb. 8, 1808; married 1834 Francis MOORE.

5.John, born May 29, 1811, died Jan. 11, 1877; married 1836 Mary C. died, 1842; married, second 1842 Lucy BUMPUS (LEL Datebook), died May 11, 1897, age 76-7-6.

6.Truman, born July 11, 1813; married 1836 Marietta RUGG, born July 13, 1815, died

[page 13]

1849; married, second, 1850 Mary E. MARSH.

7.Sally, born Apr. 14, 1815, died Sept. 6, 1846; married 1834 ____ MOORE; married, second, 1838 George RUGG, born Poultney, Vt., April 19, 1817.

8.Samuel, born Feb. 10, 1817; married 1839.

9.Abel, born Attica, Genesee Co., N.Y. Mar. 12, 1819, died Dec. 26, 1906; married, Jan., 1843, Harriet STARR, born, Lee, Oneida Co., Dec. 31, 1818, died Jan 18, 1905.

10.Edwin, born July 18, 1821, died Feb. 4, 1823, age 2 years. (Stone inscription, Attica Center Cemetery (Jillson Road) as reported in Historical Wyoming 2:75).

An original land purchase by a John MATTOCKS in Chaut. Co., N.Y. April 26, 1819 Lot 63, Town 3 (Ripley), range 15. (Livsey, op. cit., p. 243).  Possibly the brother of Ichabod.  Lot 63 is on the border with Mina Town.  Counting from the east it is the 5th of 8 lots].

~~~7~~~

JAMES 7 MATTOCKS, son of Ichabod and Eunice MATTOCKS, born Dec. 16, 1806, died Ellington, Chautauqua Co., N.Y., May 3, 1875; married Feb. 20, 1834 (Lilly ELY LITTLE Datebook), ELIZABETH (BETSY) RUGG, born Poultney, Rutland Co., Vermont, Jan. 19, 1812, died June 10, 1892, (Ibid.), age 80-4-22, daughter of Constantine and Sybil BACKUS RUGG.

James and Betsy RUGG were in Chautauqua County in July, 1836, when they quitclaimed their interest in the real property of James’ late father.  On Sept. 9, 1837 Willink and Company conveyed to James MATTOCKS fifty acres in Lot 9, Town of Gerry for $217.50. (30:428).  A purchase in Lot 9 of one acre adjoining land of Truman MATTOCKS for $100 was made in 1841. (43-61).  These two parcels were sold on July 1, 1847 for $500.  (43:62).  However, the family remained in Gerry Township, the 1850 N.Y. census for Gerry (p. 198) showing James MATTOCKS, 49, born N.Y.; Betsy, 38, born Vermont, Cornelia, 12; Sarah, 9; John B., 7; and Charles C., 1; all children born in New York.  An 1854 land ownership map locates the “J. MATTOX” farm in lot 2 in Gerry Township on the west side of what is now called the Harris Hill Road.  The “C. RUGG” property is located immediately to the south, bounded on the west by the Harris Hill Road and on the south by the Hanson Road.

On May 12, 1853 a thirty-eight acre parcel was conveyed to James MATTOCKS in Lot 49, Ellington.  (64:391).  The 1855 New York census for Ellington (p. 23) shows the MATTOCKS household next to the Samuel ELY household.  James MATTOCKS’ birthplace was given as Essex County, New York.  [Essex Co. is north of Washington Co.; Crown Point and Ticonderoga are within its boundaries].  In 1859 the family acquired additional land in lot 49. (86:142).

The 1860 Census for Ellington shows James MATTOCKS, age 53, born Vermont, farmer, with $1000 in real estate and $650 personal property; wife, Elizabeth, age 48, born in Vermont; children Sarah 20, John 17 and Charles 10, [an orphaned nephew] born in New York.  A land ownership map shows the farm on the Dry Brook Road, just south of the farm of Samuel ELY, father of Clark B. ELY (Topographical Atlas of Chaut. Co., Philadelphia: Wm. Stewart Pub.,

[page 14]

1867).  The 1870 census for Ellington (p. 367) shows James MATTOCKS, 63, born in New York, farmer with real assets of $5450 and personal property of $1480; Elizabeth, age 58, born Vermont; and John 26 and Charles 20, born in New York.

In 1873 James and Elizabeth MATTOCKS conveyed to John B. MATTOCKS forty acres in Lot 49 Ellington and 20 acres in Lot 56 in Poland. (146:44).  The 1880 census records Elizabeth, now 68, boarding with the family of her son, John B. MATTOCKS, 34, farmer, his wife Augusta, and their daughter, Grace, age one.  Elizabeth died in 1892 at the home of her son, John.

James and Elizabeth left no wills nor were their estates administered under court supervision; they are buried at the Maple Grove Cemetery, Chrowe’s Corner, Gerry.

Children of James and Elizabeth RUGG MATTOCKS: (from GA and Nancy KYLE PABODY)

1.Cornelia A., born Mar. 1, 1835, died Dec. 26, 1836.

2. Cornelia Adele, born Gerry, N.Y., Dec. 4, 1837, died Frewsburg, N.Y., May 10, 1912; married Sinclairville Jan. 4, 1859, Clark B. ELY, born Hebron, N.Y. Oct. 22, 1837, died Jamestown, N.Y., Oct. 15, 1926 (ELY Bible), son of Samuel and Artless CLARK ELY.

3.Sarah, born Apr. 10, 1840, died Jan. 14, 1916 (LEL Datebook); married Sept. 8, 1865 George HITCHCOCK.

4.John, born May 26, 1843, died Apr. 27, 1906 (LEL Datebook); married Augusta HOTCHKISS.  Daughter Grace MATTOCKS married a SCHERMERHORN.

5.Adelbert W., born Feb. 11, 1852, died Feb. 28, 1854.

FAIRBANKS

RICHARD FAIRBANKS, born probably England, died Boston, after January 1654/55 and before April 15, 1667; married by 1633 ELIZABETH _____.

Savage suggests that Richard FAIRBANKS “came [in 1633] with COTTON in the Griffin, at least his union with the church here was on the same day with Elder LEVERETT and with Governor BRENTON and Edward HUTCHINSON, in the month after the great teacher arrived … ” (James Savage, op. cit., Vol II, p. 137).  [The great teacher herein referred to is the Puritan clergyman John COTTON, Vicar at Boston, Lincolnshire, who fled England after being ordered to appear before an ecclesiastical court.  Some of his flock sailed with him to Massachusetts Bay, where the young city of Boston was named primarily to honor him.  He was chiefly responsible for the exile of Anne HUTCHINSON and for the expulsion of Roger WILLIAMS.  COTTON’s daughter was the wife of Increase MATHER and the mother of Cotton MATHER].

Richard FAIRBANKS was admitted to the Boston Church, October, 1633, as was “Elizabeth FAIREBANCKE the wife of our brother Richard FAIRBANCKE” (BChRec 16).  He was made a freeman May 14, 1634 (Mass Bay Col, Rec.I:369).

In 1635, contrary to law, he sold two houses in Sudbury End to “twoe strangers”; the

[page 15]

town officers voided the sale on June 6, 1636 (Boston Town Rec. I:10).  Town Record of August 7, 1637: “Leave is granted to Richard FAIRBANK to sell his shop to ____ SAUNDERS, a bookbinder”. (BTR I:19).  The Boston Book of Possessions, 1645 (pp. 23-24) records and describes his four parcels of land: a house and garden, a garden, four acres in New Field, and five acres in Fort Field.  In January of 1637/38 he was granted a Great Allotment of 23 acres at Muddy River (BTR I:25).  On May 29, 1643 John WINTHROP, Governor, Valentine HILL, merchant, “Richard FAYREBANKES”, Robert TURNER and James DAVIS were authorized to dig a creek for the harbor of boats in the marsh … ” (BTR I:173).

An innkeeper, he was licensed to sell wine and strong water in Boston, March 12, 1637/8, Nov. 4, 1646 (MBCR I:221, II:173).  He was also postmaster, being appointed by the General Court in 1639 to have charge of all letters voluntarily brought to his house `from beyond the sea, or [which] are to be sent thither … ‘  He was allowed one pence for each letter handled. (MBCR I:281).  Because it was both an inn and a post office, the residence of Richard FAIRBANKS also became a place to conduct business.  Town Record of 1642: `Richard FAYERBANKES … promised to give his endeavor in dealing with such as have milk to sell, and to direct them where they may be provided for’.  This inn was apparently the same one later known as the Blue Anchor (BTR 1:68 and BBOP 102 in Robert Charles Anderson.  The Great Migration Begins.  Boston: NEHGS, 1995, I:649).

Richard FAIRBANKS held various offices.  In 1634 Bostonians voted that swine should not be allowed to run at large, but should be `kept up in yards’, and two years later chose Richard FAIRBANKS as hogreeve with power to impound all strays. (BTR I:13).  In 1639 and 1640 he was appointed as Overseer of Fences; in 1639 as Foldkeeper and Hogreeve; and in 1643, Surveyor of Highways. (Robert Seybolt. Town Officials of Colonial Boston, 1634-1775. Cambridge: Harvard Univ. Press, 1939, p. 9-12).  In 1654 he was admitted to the Ancient and Honorable Artillery Company (HAHAC 1:177).

The name of Richard FAIRBANKE was one of fifty-eight on a list of Boston men to be disarmed for supporting a petition in support of the Reverend John WAINWRIGHT.  Holding and expressing such opinions [as those proposed by WAINWRIGHT and his half-sister, Anne HUTCHINSON, both of whom were to be banished from the colony] were declared to be dangerous errors.  Those who signed the petition were ordered to hand over all guns, swords, powder, shot, etc. (MBCR I:211).  FAIRBANKS soon joined a large list of Boston men who repudiated their support for WAINWRIGHT (WP III:513 in Robert Charles Anderson, op. cit., I:649).

Richard FAIRBANKS died after Jan. 29, 1654/5 (Land Record II:105-06) and before April 15, 1667 (LR V:190-92), the latter deed making reference to land purchased from the late Richard FAIRBANKES.  [No Richard FAIRBANKS in Suffolk Co. Probate Index}.

Children of Richard and Elizabeth FAIRBANKS:

1. Constance, baptised Boston, Jan. 10, 1635/36 (BChRec 280); married Samuel MATTOCK. (BVR 43).

2. Zacheus, baptised Boston Dec. 8, 1639 (BChR 284), died Boston Nov. 10, 1653.

[page 16]

(BVR 43).

Lorenzo S. Fairbanks.  Genealogy of the FAIRBANKS Family. Boston: American Printing and Engraving, 1897, p. 23-27.  Contains essentially the same information as does Anderson’s Great Migration but lacks documentation.

The Great Migration Begins: Richard Fairbanks

27 January 2009 Leave a comment

Source: Robert Charles Anderson, The Great Migration Begins: Immigrants to New England 1620-1633, Volume 1, A-F (Boston: New England Historic Genealogical Society, 1995).

[page 647]

RICHARD FAIRBANKS

ORIGIN: Unknown

MIGRATION: 1633

FIRST RESIDENCE: Boston

OCCUPATION: Innkeeper (“[blank] FAIRBANKS” licensed to sell wine & strong water in Boston, 12 March 1637/8, 4 November 1646 [MBCR 1:221, 2:173]).  Postmaster (“For preventing the miscarriage of letters; & it is ordered, that notice be given that Rich[a]rd FAIRBANKS his house in Boston is the place appointed for all letters which are brought from beyond the sea, or are to be sent thither, are to be brought unto; & he is to take care that they be delivered or sent according to their directions; & he is allowed for every such letter a 1d., & must answer all miscarriages through his own neglect in this kind; provided that no man shall be compelled to bring his letters thither, except he please” [MBCR 1:281]).

CHURCH MEMBERSHIP: Admitted to Boston church October 1633 [BChR 16].

FREEMAN: 14 May 1634 [MBCR 1:369].

EDUCATION: Sufficient to act as colony postmaster.  Signed his name to various documents [SLR 2:105-06; WP 3:513].

OFFICES: Cowkeeper, 13 April 1635 [BTR 1:5]; petit jury, 19 February 1635/6 [BTR 1:8]; hogreeve, 15 November 1636 [BTR 1:13]; foldkeeper, 13 May 1637, 25 March 1639 [BTR 1:18, 40]; fenceviewer, 25 March 1639, 30 March 1640 [BTR 1:39, 52]; surveyor of highways, 29 May 1643 [BTR 1:73].

Admitted to Ancient and Honorable Artillery Company, 1654 [HAHAC 1:177].

ESTATE: “We find that Richard FAIRBANKE hath sold unto two strangers the two houses in Sudbury End that were William BALSTONE’s, contrary to a former order, and therefore the sale to be void, and the said Richard FAIRBANCKE to forfeit for his breaking thereof xls.,” 6 June 1636 [BTR 1:10].

[page 648]

“It is agreed that Richard FAIRBANCKE shall have leave for this summer time to mow the marsh that is against his acre of planting ground in the New Field, as he hath formerly mown it,” 2 June 1637, 8 January 1637/8, 30 December 1639, 30 November 1640 [BTR 1:18, 22, 45, 57].

“Leave is granted to Richard FAIRBANK to sell his shop to _____ SAUNDERS, a bookbinder,” 7 August 1637 [BTR 1:19].

Granted a Great Allotment of 23 acres at Muddy River, 8 January 1637/8 [BTR 1:25]; this lot sold by Robert SCOTT to Thomas SAVAGE, 21 January 1638/9 [BTR 1:37].

In the Boston Book of Possessions Richard FAIRBANKS held four parcels of land; a house and garden; a garden; four acres in New Field; and five acres in Fort Field [BBOP 23-24].

On 2 April 1652 Robert TURNER of Boston, vintner, and “Richard FAIREBANCKS in Boston” exchanged land, TURNER receiving “one dwelling house, garden & yard” and FAIRBANKS receiving “one dwelling house, garden & yard” and “6 acres or thereabouts of enclosed ground … in the Fort Field” [SLR 1:193].

On 15 April 1667 James PENN, ruling elder, James JOHNSON & Richard TRUESDALL, deacons of the Church of Christ in Boston, sold to Theodore ATKINSON, senior, of Boston “all that their cottage or tenement with the orchard, gardens, outhousing, closes or pasture lands thereto adjoining or belonging as it hath been & is now fenced in, situate, lying & being in Boston near to the Fort Hill containing in quantity seven acres and seven rods or thereabouts as they heretofore purchased it from the late Richard FAIREBANCKS several years since, having been also for & from that time in the possession of the said Theodore ATKINSON, senior” [SLR 5:190-92].

BIRTH: By about 1608 based on estimated date of marriage.

DEATH: After 29 January 1654/5 [SLR 2:105-06] and before 15 April 1667 [SLR 5:190-92], and probably closer to the former date.

MARRIAGE: By 1633 Elizabeth _____; in October 1633 “Elizabeth FAIREBANCKE the wife of our brother Richard FAIREBANCKE” was admitted to Boston church [BChR 16]; not seen after the birth of her second child in 1639.

CHILDREN:

i     CONSTANCE, bp. Boston 10 January 1635/6 [BChR 280]; “Samuel MATTOCKE was married to Constance FAIREBANKS daughter of Richard FAIREBANKS” at Boston 30 March 1653 [BVR 43; see also SLR 1:311-12].

ii    ZACHEUS, bp. Boston 8 December 1639 [BChR 284]; d. Boston 10 November 1653 [BVR 43].

ASSOCIATIONS: On 29 May 1643 John WINTHROP, Governor, Valentine HILL, merchant, “Richard FAYREBANKES,” ROBERT TURNER and James

[page 649]

DAVIS were authorized to dig “a creek for the harbor of boats in the marsh near William HUDSON, senior, his house” [BTR 1:73].  Witnessed deed of Robert TURNER, 30 June 1651 [SLR 1:190]; witnessed will of Robert TURNER, 14 August 1651 [SPR 1:64].  On 2 April 1652 these two men exchanged land [SLR 1:193].

Although the suggestion has been made that Richard FAIRBANKS was the brother of Jonathan FAIRBANKS of Dedham, or in some other way related to him, there is no evidence in favor of this other than the identity of surnames.  (See TAG 37:65-72 for material on the English origin and ancestry of Jonathan FAIRBANKS, which includes no mention of Richard.)

COMMENTS: Savage suggests that Richard FAIRBANKS arrived on the Griffin in 1633; this is presumably based only on the time of his admission to Boston church, along with others who did come on that vessel.

Some secondary sources suggest that Lydia (_____) (BATES) FLETCHER, wife successively of EDWARD BATES of Boston and William FLETCHER of Concord, may have been the daughter of Richard FAIRBANKS [Snow-Estes 1:296; Farwell Gen 1:45].  The latter source, for instance, says “there is evidence of some association between the two families” (Richard FAIRBANKS and Henry FARWELL), but does not produce the evidence.  Nothing in the career of Richard FAIRBANKS suggests that he had a daughter Lydia.

“Richard FAIRBANKE” was in the 20 November 1637 list of Boston men to be disarmed for supporting the petition in favor of WHEELWRIGHT [MBCR 1:211].  About 22 November 1637 he joined a large list of Boston men in repudiating his support for WHEELWRIGHT [WP 3:513].

Because it was both an inn and the post office, the residence of Richard FAIRBANKS became a place at which persons from all over Massachusetts Bay, and other parts of New England as well, met to transact business.   On 28 March 1642 “Richard FAYERBANKES … promised to give his endeavor in dealing with such as have milk to sell, and to direct them where they may be provided for” [BTR 1:68].  (See also MBCR 2:86, 102, 110, 184, 3:14, 131, for other examples of this sort of activity.  This inn was apparently the same one known later as the Blue Anchor [BBOP 102].)

On 12 August 1645, a “bill of sixty & nine pounds eighteen shillings & five pence, being presented to this Court by Rich: FAIRBANKS, of many particulars as due to him from the country, is accepted by the Court for a debt of sixty-three pounds nine shillings, &c., due to the country from Mr. Edward TING, so far as it appears to be just by the examination of the surveyor general & Wm. PARKS” [MBCR 3:42].

“It is ordered, that whatsoever appears due to the widow WILSON from the country, with respect to her late husband’s wages, &c., appearing under the hands of the Treasurer, she shall be forthwith paid & satisfied by

[page 650]

Rich: FAIRBANKS, as far as that comes to, which he oweth the country for the custom of wines, & the rest by the Treasurer, so as she depart the prison house & quietly resign it to the keeper,” 7 October 1646 [MBCR 2:161].

With ATHERTON HOUGH and THOMAS LEVERETT, “Richard FAIREBANCK” represented Alice DINELY, the widow of William DINELY, when she made her marriage contract with Richard CRITCHLEY, 15 August 1654; “Richard FAIREBANCK did acknowledge this to be his own handwriting, viz, his name here underwritten before me,” apparently on 29 January 1654/5 [SLR 2:105-06].

In an inventory of church plate belonging to the First Church of Boston, prepared in 1834, there is a small cup which may have belonged to Richard and Elizabeth FAIRBANKS [BChR 487].